According to NBC, the Archdiocese of New York on Friday named 120 Catholic clergy that it said had been “credibly accused” of sexual abuse or being in possession of pornography.
About half of the men on the list were born in the first half of the 20th century and are now dead. The rest have either been removed from ministry and defrocked or are in the process of appealing their removal.
Cardinal Timothy Dolan said parishioners have been demanding more transparency and accountability.
“After hearing from many of you, including many victim-survivors, I have decided to publish a comprehensive list of all archdiocesan clergy found credibly accused of sexual abuse of a minor,” Dolan wrote in a four-part tweeted statement.
The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, an advocacy group for sex abuse victims, called the archdiocese’s move “belated” but welcomed.
“While it’s likely this list was only released in response to growing public pressure, we hope that the publicizing of this information will … encourage survivors who may be suffering in silence to come forward and make a report to police and the attorney general,” according to statement by SNAP.
Jeff Herman, a nationally recognized sex abuse attorney who has represented victims of predator priests, said “This is a positive step in the right direction. My hope is that the list will empower survivors who were too afraid to speak up, to come forward.”
In November 2011, Jeff won a landmark $100 million verdict on behalf of a client who was sexually abused by Father Neil Doherty, a Roman Catholic priest of the Archdiocese of Miami.
“For true transparency, the Archdiocese of New York should go further and release all of the files it has long maintained on clergy members and individuals associated with the church who have been accused of sexually abusing children,” said Jeff.
“Releasing all of the files allows abuse survivors to begin to understand how it happened, which can be another important step in finding closure. It also helps the public understand the magnitude of the problem and to ensure this never happens again,” he said.
For more than 25 years, Jeff has enjoyed a reputation for aggressive and tireless advocacy on behalf of his clients. He has an in-depth understanding of the unique issues involved in the representation of survivors of sexual abuse.
For decades, abuse survivors have been suffering in silence due to the strict statute of limitations in New York. But the time has finally come for victims to begin to heal. The recent passage of the New York Child Victims Act allows a one-year window beginning August 14, 2019, for victims of any age to seek civil damages.
If you are a survivor of sexual abuse in New York, Herman Law may be able to help you achieve long-overdue justice. Please contact us today to discuss your options.