NEWS CONFERENCE MONDAY AT 12:00 PM
Lawsuit Alleges Brooklyn Technical High School Officials Ignored Reports of Sexual Harassment by teacher, Sean Shaynak
WHAT: JEFF HERMAN (www.hermanlaw.com), a nationally-recognized attorney for victims of sexual abuse who recently opened a New York office, known as Herman Law New York, announces the filing of a lawsuit against New York City Department of Education for the sexual harassment of a female high school student, V.V., by Sean Shaynak, a male teacher at Brooklyn Technical High School.
According to the Complaint:
· Sean Shaynak was hired to be a teacher at Brooklyn Technical High School in approximately 2009.
· Upon information and belief, Brooklyn Tech officials and administrators were aware of several instances of inappropriate and sexually harassing behavior by Sean Shaynak, including:
- Flashing female students while dressed in drag at a school dance.
- Smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol with students just off campus.
- Allowing students to skip class and “hang out” with him in his classroom.
- Reports from teachers, administrators, and third parties of sexual harassment of female students and sexually inappropriate behavior by Shaynak. ·
· Brooklyn Tech officials and administrators chose not to take corrective action against Shaynak. As a result, Shaynak continued to have unfettered access to female students and he continued to sexually harass female students at Brooklyn Tech, including V.V.
· Beginning in or about March 2012, Shaynak began grooming and sexually harassing V.V. by:
- Sending V.V. messages that were sexual in nature, both during and after school hours.
- Taking V.V. to the Museum of Sex, where he plied V.V. with alcohol and kissed her on the lips.
- Taking V.V. to a hotel in Long Island, where he plied V.V. with alcohol and had sexual intercourse with her.
- Driving V.V. from school to his house to have sex on a daily basis. – Taking V.V. to a nude beach and sex clubs where he would have V.V. watch him perform and receive oral sex with other males.
- Kidnapping, threatening, and terrorizing V.V. while Shaynak was dressed in drag.
V.V. v. NEW YORK CITY DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION was filed Saturday in The U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York.
Jeff Herman, the attorney for the victim in this case, stated: “The school utterly failed to protect these girls. Students should not be sexually harassed by their teachers.”
WHEN/WHERE: MONDAY, January 12, 2015 at 12:00 PM
On the public sidewalk outside of Brooklyn Technical High School
29 Fort Greene Place
Brooklyn, NY 11217
WHO: Jeff Herman, the attorney for the victim in this case. A statement will be read on behalf of the victim, V.V.