Kmart Security Officer Sexually Assaulted Woman, Lawsuit Says
WHAT: JEFF HERMAN (www.hermanlaw.com), a nationally-recognized attorney for victims of sexual abuse, announces the filing of a lawsuit against KMART for the sexual assault of a 23-year-old woman by a Kmart security officer.
According to the Complaint:
· On or about June 8, 2013, JANE DOE, then 23 years old, was shopping at the Springfield KMART with her friends. While there, an undercover loss prevention officer witnessed JANE place t-shirts into her purse. The officer approached JANE and forced her to come with him to the “Loss Prevention Room” located inside the store. Present in the loss prevention room, with JANE were three KMART representatives, including TABBASUM GILANI, a loss prevention officer.
· GILANI mouthed to JANE that he could help her and that she should not worry. Soon after, GILANI mouthed to JANE that she should ask to go to the bathroom. GILANI offered to escort JANE to the restroom and was allowed to do so alone, even though a female KMART agent was available to do so.
· When GILANI and JANE approached the restroom, GILANI told JANE that she would not go to jail if she performed oral sex on him or had sexual intercourse with him. GILANI made this offer several times and JANE consistently refused.
· Just before returning to the loss prevention room, GILANI again told JANE that she was going to jail unless she complied. GILANI led JANE to a hallway near the loss prevention room. In the hallway, GILANI fondled JANE’S breasts and vagina over her clothes. GILANI unbuckled his pants and told JANE, “Hurry up – suck my dick!” JANE was scared, shocked and felt that she had no choice. JANE began performing oral sex on GILANI. GILANI ejaculated into JANE’S mouth and told her to swallow.
· Fairfax County Police Officers arrived and issued JANE a citation for shoplifting, but she was not arrested. JANE reported the incident to Fairfax County Police later that day.
· GILANI was arrested by Fairfax County Police on or about June 8, 2013. GILANI was charged with abduction with intent to defile and forcible sodomy.
Jeff Herman, the attorney for the victim in this case, stated:
“Our lawsuit alleges that Tabbasum Gilani used the authority of his position to sexually assault Jane Doe. A retail store must not allow male security guards unsupervised, unfettered access to female customers.”
JANE DOE NO. 48v. KMART CORPORATION was filed yesterday in U.S. DISTRICT COURT EASTERN DISTRICT OF VIRGINIA.