NEWS CONFERENCE TODAY
Cardinal Gibbons High School Teacher Sexually Assaulted 16-year-old student, lawsuit says
WHAT: Nationally recognized sex abuse attorney, JEFF HERMAN, announces the filing of a sexual abuse lawsuit against Archdiocese of Miami and Cardinal Gibbons High School, Inc., for the sexual abuse of a 16-year-old girl by former Cardinal Gibbons teacher, John Farrell.
According to the Complaint:
- On August 5, 2014, JOHN FARRELL was convicted of 20 counts of unlawful sexual activity with a minor, and sentenced to 20 months in Florida State Prison arising from the actions alleged herein.
- At all relevant times, FARRELL was a first-year math and statistics teacher. JANE DOE met FARRELL at CARDINAL GIBBONS HIGH SCHOOL in September 2012, during her junior year. FARRELL was 25 years old and JANE DOE was 16 years old.
- FARRELL drove JANE to his house on several occasions, where he often provided her with alcoholic beverages. Farrell began to engage in sexual acts with JANE DOE. The acts began with kissing and oral sex, and eventually led to sexual intercourse on or about March 10, 2013.
- Farrell believed that his sexual relationship with Plaintiff was condoned by CGHS administration through the administrators’ own personal participation in the same behavior and the administration’s deliberate indifference to Farrell’s apparent relationship with Plaintiff.
- On information and belief, several teachers were aware of the inappropriate relationship between Farrell and JANE DOE. On information and belief, a representative of CGHS indicated to JANE DOE’s mother that Farrell’s behavior had become a matter of concern.
- Despite knowledge that Farrell posed a danger to JANE DOE, the Defendants embarked on a plan and scheme to protect Farrell from exposure as a sexual predator and protect themselves from scandal and liability, by continuing to give him unrestricted access to JANE DOE in conjunction with his duties as a teacher at CGHS, and holding him out to Plaintiff and the general public as a sexually-safe teacher whom it had no reason to believe was a threat to the safety and well-being of children attending CGHS.
Jane Doe No. 46 v. Archdiocese of Miamiwas filed yesterday in Broward County.
“A school must protect its minor students from sexual assault by adult staff,” Jeff Herman, the attorney for the victim in this case stated.
WHO:Jeff Herman, the attorney for the victim in this case.
TODAY, November 18 at 1pm in front of Cardinal Gibbons High School
2900 NE 47th St, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308