***FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE***
Sexual Assault Lawsuit Filed Against Albany Medical Center Hospital; Patient Penetrated and Groped
WHAT: JEFF HERMAN (www.hermanlaw.com), a nationally-recognized attorney for victims of sexual abuse, announces the filing of a lawsuit against ALBANY MEDICAL CENTER HOSPITAL for the sexual assault and battery of a female patient J.L. by JOSHUA SCATTAREGGIA, a male patient in the psychiatric ward.
According to the Complaint:
- On or about September 4, 2013, J.L. was admitted to the emergency department of AMCH and was transferred involuntarily to the psychiatric ward in order to keep her safe.
- There were multiple patients in the psychiatric ward, each designated to their own room. Among these psychiatric ward patients was JOSHUA SCATTAREGGIA, a patient with a history of crime.
- Due to the vulnerable and volatile nature of the patients in the psychiatric ward, it was foreseeable that without at least minimum security precautions and adequate supervision, the patients would pose a danger to one another and harm one another.
- AMCH did not exercise adequate supervision of the psychiatric patients to ensure they were not harmed, or did not perpetrate any harm.
- JOSHUA SCATTAREGGIA was able to freely enter J.L.’s room without impediment and sexually assaulted and sexually battered J.L.
- The sexual assault and battery included, but was not limited to, forced digital penetration, kissing, groping, and pressing his exposed penis against her while he held J.L. down on the bed by her arms.
J.L. v. ALBANY MEDICAL CENTER HOSPITAL was filed in The Supreme Court of the State of New York County of Albany.
Jeff Herman, the victim’s attorney, stated: “Very often these individuals are in an extremely vulnerable state. I do not believe that AMCH exercised adequate supervision of the patients to ensure their safety.”