CONTACT: Thao Letle@hermanlaw.com
***FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE***
Priest At Archdiocese of Miami Continued to Work at St. Pius X, After Several Reports of Sexual Abuse in 1989
WHAT: JEFF HERMAN (www.hermanlaw.com), a nationally-recognized attorney for victims of sexual abuse, announces the filing of a lawsuit against the ARCHDIOCESE OF MIAMI for the sexual abuse of a then 14-year-old boy by Father HARRY RINGENBERGER at ST. MAXIMILIAN KOLBE CHURCH.
According to the Complaint:
- Father Harry RINGENBERGER sexually abused several boys, including JOHN DOE, while serving as a priest at St. Maximilian Kolbe Catholic Church in Pembroke Pines, Florida.
- The sexual abuse included RINGENBERGER having JOHN lay on top of him, while RINGENBERGER rubbed his penis against JOHN’S until RINGENBERGER ejaculated.
- The inappropriate sexual behavior committed by Father RINGENBERGER was reported to the ARCHDIOCESE OF MIAMI in 1989.
- After receiving notice of Father RINGENBERGER’S inappropriate behavior, the ARCHDIOCESE OF MIAMI sent Father RINGENBERGER away for approximately one year then assigned him to a new parish within the ARCHDIOCESE OF MIAMI.
- Despite the ARCHDIOCESE’S knowledge of these accusations, FATHER RINGENBERGER continued to serve as pastor at St. Pius X Catholic Church in Fort Lauderdale, Florida until very recently.
JOHN DOE NO. 133. v. ARCHDIOCESE OF MIAMI was filed yesterday in The Circuit Court of the 17th Judicial Circuit.
Jeff Herman, the victim’s attorney, said: “According to our lawsuit, the Archdiocese of Miami chose to avoid scandal, in part by continuing to give Father Ringenberger unfettered access to boys, instead of taking action to protect children and help victims heal.”
WHO: The victim alongside his attorney, Jeff Herman, will speak to the media.
WHEN: TODAY, May 20, 2015, at 1 pm
WHERE: On the public sidewalk outside of St. Pius X Church
2511 N Ocean Blvd
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33305